Saturday, December 14, 2013

Virginia Beach mini vacation

We took a mini weekend vacation to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.  We were hoping to visit colonial Williamsburg too but ran out of time.  Still need to cross that one off our list.  First we hit Busch Gardens.  They have lots of kids rides which was perfect because we didn't have another couple to go trade off with plus I was pregnant.  First we went to Sesame Street Town.  Jack was way excited and hit some rides.  We had only gone on a couple when Logan excitedly took him on a Grover roller coaster which was probably the biggest kids roller coaster there.  We were so caught up in having fun that we didn't think this through and should have worked our way up to the big roller coaster.  Jack laughed and cried on the roller coaster but mostly he wouldn't go on anymore new rides.  It took a good hour until he got his courage up again to try some new rides.  Charlotte loved it just as much and was mad if she wasn't big enough for a ride.  Busch Garden's theme is countries so when you go into a country, like Germany, everything is themed that way, the rides, decor and food.  So fun.  And not only that but it was also their Hallow-scream so everything was Halloween decorated too.  Once it got dark it was a little scary for Jack and he still brings it up at times but overall I don't think it was too traumatizing.  We left Busch Gardens late that evening and continued to drive to Virginia Beach to our hotel.  We were right on the boardwalk and had a view of the ocean from our room. We had awesome weather for the beach which still surprises me (I am used to it snowing in October).  We played on the beach in the morning and then that afternoon we walked through through the sand castle contest.  So impressive.  We headed back to the beach to play a little further south on the boardwalk to where there was a children's playground too.  We ate some delicious fish and chips and fish tacos (I have been converted to seafood since we have been able to eat fresh seafood on the coast). And just before we headed home we met up with our friends the Wotrings who are living there for a year doing a clerkship.  They graduated last year and we missed them lots so it fun to see them.  After that we headed home.  A short and sweet, but such a fun trip.      
A few pictures pre vacation.  Painting outside.
Rolling in the grass getting lots of ticks, I am sure.
Family home evening with an object lesson about the priesthood.  Good try on our part but it mostly ended up with the kids playing hide and seek in the dark.
This is how push ups for Logan always end.
Busch Gardens.  We watched a pet show and saw lots of animals do tricks.  The kids loved it.  Especially Char and her love of puppies.
Jack enjoying the show.
Rides!
I love this picture.  Charlotte doing her best to hold up her giant head and not get whiplash and Jacks face of enjoyment.

Busch Gardens is seriously in garden.  Green and flowers everywhere.  So pretty.



This is the rather large roller coaster we sent our three year old.  Not a good move.
Char's favorite ride.

We felt one of us had to go on at least one ride and since I was pregnant, that left Logan.  He rode the Griffin.  He said it was pretty insane
Jack pounding it with Elmo and this is Char's reaction.  She LOVES Elmo and was so excited when we spotted him.  But once we got close I felt her shutter and then she began screaming.  I guess a giant Elmo is pretty scary when he is ten times your size.
Virginia Beach.

Logan was so inspired by the sandcastle contest that he built his own interpretive structure.


We took a quick pic to use as a baby announcement.  At first I had the kids jumping for joy but then they just did this on their own and it was even cuter.
Sandcastle contest.

I was super excited when I saw this and thought it would be great for a Christmas card.  But the guy taking the picture cut off the Happy Holiday sign.  Still fun though.



Yummy sea food.
Ice cream!
The view from our hotel of the boardwalk.
Meeting up with Stacey and Peyton Wotring.
Jack and Kai reunited.
Someone always has to be buried.  Such a fun trip! We miss you already Virginia beach.


No comments: