We went camping back in October. Yes you can do that in Virginia. We went with our friends the Mellors. We headed up old Shenandoah National Park on a Friday afternoon. I thought growing up I was brave and somehow the thought of bears never scared me. Then I learned that where I used to camp, there aren't bears, but here in the Shenandoah there are lotssss. People say, "but they are just cute little black bears". If I only had to run and defend myself I wouldn't mind but I have to drag children along with me and they would slow me down. So I almost bought a bear horn, but instead I did extensive research so I knew how to handle all scenarios. With that said, we were driving up Friday afternoon and there on the side of the road was a happy little black bear just hanging out. For better or worse, I worked past my bear fear and we camped anyway. We literally camped in a cloud. It was super foggy that day and you could't see about twenty feet in front of you. (this didn't help my bear fears either). It was a weird haze, but it was warm and we still had lots of fun. It was probably my crazy pregnancy cravings (I am starving in the first trimester) but I packed and planned tons of gourmet meals for us to eat in the short 24 hours we would be there. So mostly I cooked, the kids ate, and Logan chopped wood and tended to the fire so I could cook. Darn pregnant ladies. The other thing that was a bit terrifying was the GIANT catface spiders that would come out at night. I have never seen these in Virginia and didn't know this was a thing, but once it got dark, they started hanging out from the trees and suddenly one was in your face. It was as terrifying as the bears. I am sounding like a wuss here, and maybe I have turned soft, but these spiders were big and juicy and would come out of no where. Fog, bears, spiders, when I retell the story it sounds like a terrible trip. But like I said, we had fun.
 |
| Char, Jack and Lincoln snacking away. |
 |
| Brett and Logan doing their man duties. |
 |
| Eating food. Breakfast burritos I think. |
 |
| Packing up to go home. |
 |
| Misty misty. |
 |
| This was dad's fault. Poor Char. Her face takes such a beating. He was carrying her through the trees to look for woods and a branch got her. |
 |
| Cobbler. |
 |
| Char finally out. |
 |
| Jack snoozing. |
 |
| Out for a walk around campus. |
 |
| I think this is a statue of Jefferson. |
 |
| Searching for bugs under rocks. |
 |
| We convinced the Guynns and Bylunds to have a tennis tournament with us. I knew we were bad, but man are we bad. We lost. Guynns won. Still had fun. |
 |
| Steve and Jenni won. Our kids were troopers to let us play. |
 |
| Buds. |
 |
| This girl has a little technology problem. |
No comments:
Post a Comment