Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Montpelier Races

We went to the Montpelier Races.  We have been dying to go to some horse races since we moved out and it didn't disappoint.  These races were held at Montpelier, President James Madison's house.  There were seven races through out the day.  When a race was going on we would watch and in between we checked out Montpelier, ate food and let Jack run free.  Tailgating was a huge deal.  Everyone had giant tables lavishly decorated with delicious food.  We didn't get the memo on this and had to settle with our lunchables and picnic food.  Seriously, these people were business.  They had fancy dishes, wine, pheasant, centerpieces.  So fun.  I was a bit worried to wear my big derby hat, but once I got there, I realized I fit right in.  

And now a fun story.  Jack currently has a fear of public toilets.  So there we were sitting in front of James Madison's house and Jack needed to go potty.  After three attempts of getting him to go in the port-a-potty, we had no choice.  Logan ran him behind some bushes and Jack relieved himself on the former Presidents lawn.  Sorry Mr. President, no disrespect intended.      
Tailgating.  This is a huge part of the races.  People go all out with centerpieces, fancy dishware, roast pheasants, and eat wine and cheese. 



My derby hat.  This is basically the whole reason we went, so I could wear a big hat with a peacock feather.  I want to go the races in spring.  That's when people go nuts.

Jack playing with mini horses.
Montpellier, James Madison's house.

Playing horses on Montpellier.





We loved the race over the brush.

Charlotte was all tuckered out.


Turned out pretty good considering my camera is sitting on my stroller in timer mode.


1 comment:

Scott said...

You guys are so cultured! What a fun event- I love the hat!