She is here! Charlotte Kate was born February 13th at 6:28 a.m. at the Martha Jefferson Hospital. She weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and was 20 inches long. A fatty yes. She was almost two pounds heavier than Jack. At this rate my fifth baby will be 12 lbs. Let's hope that doesn't happen. It was a quick and painful delivery just like Jack. I woke up around 1:30 a.m. on the 13th having some contractions. We assumed this was it since I had yet to have any contractions. We waited about an hour timing them and then despite my doctors orders to wait, we left for the hospital. We called my dear friend Stacey and she so kindly slept on our couch. We arrived at the hospital around 3 a.m. I immediately asked where the anesthesiologist was. For some reason nurses and doctors always seem to think they know best instead of listening to the mother. Anyway, they checked me. I was at a 6. When I got to an 8 my anesthesiologist was finally summoned. It was hard to hold still while she was doing the epidural with the intense contractions and she unfortunately had to do it twice because it got twisted. It felt like forever. I was at a ten and then the pain relief came. Ahhhh! They gave me a minute to get my wits and then it was time to push and there she was. We (and I mean me) had a hard time picking her name so she was still baby girl for a while. We knew we were going to use Kate after my mom for the middle name and had narrowed it down to Lily, Ivy, and Charlotte. It was a tough choice but we finally picked Charlotte. We chose it because first, we had decided we liked the name a while back before we knew we were moving to Charlottesville. It's kind of fun that her birthplace is part of her name. Also its the medium name we both agreed on the most. I was leaning towards Ivy, Logan towards Lily but we both equally liked Charlotte. Anyway, the point is it took me a day or two, but she is definitely Charlotte. We are loving and adoring every minute with her. I can't believe Jack is already two so I am trying to remember to enjoy it all, even the 3 a.m. feedings. Jack will occasionally show interest in her. Bringing her toys and wanting her to watch him as he does cool tricks. We are training him to be soft and he does pretty good. I love that he refers to her as baby sister. "This is cereal baby sister." I think he will be a good big brother even though she may not love trucks.


 |
| Just a few hours old. |
 |
| I delivered at Martha Jefferson Hospital aka a country club. It is a brand new hospital and super nice. Monticello is in the background just outside our window. |
 |
| A lamb hat I made for her to come home in. Although I am grateful for the free patter, her 0-3 month size was obviously flawed. I made her wear it anyway. |
 |
| Finally home. |
9 comments:
She is beautiful. Good work mom!(and dad of course)
She is so beautiful! And you really thing 7 15 is a fatty!? No way! I love to hear labor and delivery stories, so thanks for sharing. I felt the same way while getting my epidural. They always talk about how huge the needle is, but they never tell you that you will already be writhing in pain while you are told to hold completely still while they make multiple attempts to shove said ginormatron needle in your spine. Just my take on it. Congratulations! I am so excited for you and I cannot believe you have TWO kids!
cute! congrats
I have been checking your blog multiple times a day since Monday to see her! It sounds like the cupcakes did the trick. Good work Sara!
I also have been checking your blog multiple times a day! She's adorable! Pretty soon those kids are going to out-number you! Good luck! ;-)
She looks so precious and beautiful! How exciting! I love the name! The first month was a little crazy at our house and then it started to mellow out and got much better so good luck! I'm so happy for you. I wish we lived by you guys, it would be so fun!
It sounds like the cupcakes did the trick:) Congrats...she is so precious!! I hope you and Charlotte are doing great and recovering well!!
What a beautiful baby girl. We are so happy for you!
She's a keeper! I still need to talk to you on the phone sometime, however now that we both have newborns I'm sure we won't actually talk to each other again for at least three months. Texting will have to do for now. Jacob says to tell cousin Charlotte "Hi"
Post a Comment