Sunday, November 14, 2010

The one armed bandit

Logan recently had surgery on his right shoulder. Somehow underneath all that muscle is some weak little girl tendons that can't seem to keep his shoulders on right. We knew this day would eventually come, but we thought it would be years down the road. Well a church softball game back in July proved us wrong and when his shoulder popped out and would not go back in until sedation and doctors came to the rescue, we knew it was time. We went to the hospital early Thursday morning around 8 a.m. After about two hours of tedious medical tasks and waiting, it was time for me to say my goodbyes and leave. The surgery lasted about an hour and a half and everything went really good. I was summoned back to the hospital around 12:30. I was a little disappointed to see that Logan was pretty coherent and the anesthesia had somewhat worn off. Last time they put him out, he was hilarious waking up. He seemed fine, except for his intense shivering and all he could seem to think about was being cold. After about and hour we were able to leave and I drove him home. The next couple days have mostly consisted of lots of sleeping (for Logan, not me), pain meds, ice packs, and some movies here and there. We are so thankful that everything went so well and that Logan seems to be recovering quite nicely. Also, thanks to everyone who took care of us too. My only complaint about all this is the fact that the rat duties have now been put upon me. Sorry rats, I just don't care for you like I used to. We can't wait until we get to do the other shoulder. Hooray!

There are some stiches in the front of his shoulder and in the back. I love the high-tech medical system of labeling YES on the shoulder you want to operate on. Real clever.
Camped out for a while...

2 comments:

Mysha said...

I love that your last post was about a 4 fingered boy and this was the one armed man. You should rename your blog "A family of carnival folk". Yeah for Logan getting surgery and finally pulling his weight in church ball!

The Picketts said...

Hope Logan recovers quickly! When I had both my knee surgeries, I wrote "THIS ONE, YES" and on the other knee I put, "NOT THIS ONE!" ha ha ha -